Partner Visa Forms & Documents

Original Documents

Do I need to submit original documents with an Australian visa application, and does it matter if they are not in English?

The Australian migration regulations provide that any document submitted to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) must be either the original document or a certified copy of the original document. A certified copy is simply a copy of the original document that has been certified as a true copy of the original.

 Certified Documents

If in Australia you can get a document certified by a solicitor, Justice of the Peace or any other person who is authorised to witness a statutory declaration. In Australia you will find no shortage of people who can certify original documents. Outside Australia you will need to have the original documents certified by the local equivalent of a Justice of the Peace. Most Australian Embassies will have people that can certify original documents.

It is strongly advisable to submit certified copies over original ones. If the originals are lost or misplaced they may be hard or impossible to replace. Submit certified copies of documents. If the originals are requested then you can always produce them to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) personally.

In English?

When submitting a document with an Australia visa application that is not in English, that document should first be translated into English by a translator who is accredited. Both the translation and a certified copy of the original document should be submitted with the visa application.

With regards to Australian tourist visas, some overseas post have lately been more relaxed with the requirement when it comes to submitting certified copies and translations. For example subclass 676 tourist visa applications submitted to the Australian Embassy, Bangkok, currently do not need to be translated from Thai to English, nor do they need to be certified. The requirement for certified copies and translations is however strictly enforced when it comes to permanent visas such as Australian partner and fiancé visas.

Prior to submitting any visa application it is highly recommended that you inquire with the post that you are intending to submit the application to, what are their current requirements with regards to translations and certified copies relating to the Australian visa your are applying for.

Pay The Fees

Prior to lodging any visa application you should always ensure that you pay the correct visa application charge. All current visa application charges are available on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship’s (DIAC) website.

If you submit a visa application without paying the visa application charge or an incorrect amount it will be an invalid application, and processing will be delayed considerably. When paying at an overseas post always check the current amount payable in the local currency on the DIAC website.

Other Forms Of Documentation

Submitting the application and sponsorship alone is simply not enough. There are many other forms that are required. All documents that are not in English must be translated. Where original documents are not submitted certified copies of the original documents must be submitted too. This goes with translations as well. You must submit a translated copy of the document, as well as a certified copy of the original.

Thorough visa application preparation is of absolute paramount importance. Australia’s Migration Act and Regulations are very specific on exactly how a valid application must be made and the criteria that must be satisfied at the time of application and the time a decision is made on the visa application.

Keep in mind that Australian partner visa applications are a multi stage process, and as such certain criteria must be satisfied at certain times during the application process. A failure to satisfy any of the criteria may result in the visa being refused.

 A Letter Of Support

Can I provide a letter in support of my Thai girlfriend’s Australian tourist visa application?

Although there is no legal requirement for an Australia tourist visa applicant to be sponsored, the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) certainly looks very favorably towards any support offered by an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident. Some people refer to them as an invitation whereas others refer to them as a letter of support. A letter of support if often used to help satisfy the adequate funds criteria.

It is important to note however that although you are under no legal obligation to provide the letter of support, and in fact the support at all for that matter, the decision maker at DIAC would want to at least see that you have a moral obligation to provide the support that you are offering you Thai girlfriend.

If you have only known your Thai girlfriend through the internet and you have never physically met her, then the DIAC decision maker may take the view that you are not really under any moral obligation to provide the support and as such little weight if any will be attached to your letter of support. That is not saying that they don’t believe that your support is genuine, but that the relationship is not such that any weight can be attached to your letter of support.


On August 29, 2010, posted in: Visa Advice by
Comments are closed.